Using a floor rug or carpet helps you generate vibrancy and weave texture into your home flooring. A floor rug essentially has two functions -
- It adds an element of texture to your floor and
- It helps create zones around your home and define your spaces especially if it is an open flooring plan.
However when placing your furniture on a rug/carpet there are a few guidelines that one must adhere to achieve an elegant look in your home:
1) A room generally looks more pulled together if all the furniture legs are planted firmly on the rug. Another approach would be to have none of the furniture touching the rug. Both of these looks work to create a sense of proportion in the room. A third look that is very popular is to have two feet of the furniture on the rug and two feet off the rug.
2) For a bedroom, the ideal way to place the rug is to place it beneath the bottom two-thirds of the bed, perpendicular to the bed. The area of the rug should be large enough that you can step down onto it when you get out of bed.
3) For the dining area, the rug should be placed under the dining table. Consider investing in a rug that is wide and long enough so that when diners push back their chairs, the chairs stay on the rug.
4) When placing the rug, also play attention to the pattern. If you have repeat pattern, you’re pretty safe, as there will be a consistent view of the pattern peeking out from around the furniture. However, if you have designs on your rug, try to place your furniture in such a way so as the pattern shows through
Urban Homez is an online platform for home & office construction, improvement, design and decor, providing people with everything they need to construct and improve their homes & offices from start to finish. It connects homeowners with thousands of architects, interior designers, contractors and suppliers in their city and across the country.